Under limited supervision, this position is primarily responsible for supporting the technical oversight of assigned engineered systems. Areas of support include cryogenic, pneumatic, fuel, electrical, control, hydraulic, structural, HVAC, and water systems.
- Provide direct oversight of O&M staff including engineers, technicians, and auxiliary support personnel. Supervises and conducts the development and maintenance of operational system parameters related to system operational requirements. Conduct field inspections and reviews of operational launch pad systems to assess conformance with design and operational requirements.
- Provides direction to VCSFA Engineer I, technicians and support personnel.
- Works directly with customer, support contractors, and VCSFA technical and management staff in a team environment.
- Develops system operating, testing, and maintenance procedures, engineering work packages for internal and external execution including those for hazardous operations, system drawings, trouble-shooting plans, certification documentation, system performance metrics, and documents required by MARS operational directives.
- Generate system change documentation to increase operating efficiency, performance, safety, and reliability.
- Develop and maintain system constraint and status documentation using MARS approved processes and procedures. Prepare and present associated material to others.
- Develop material for Change Configuration Board (CCB) and Design Reviews, provides input on engineering processes, develops and maintains an in-depth technical resource on the assigned system(s).
- Continuously develops an advanced understanding of the launch pad systems as a whole.
- Monitor and supervise the performance of fieldwork on the launch pad systems, ensures coordination with other internal groups including QA, Safety, and the Pad Manager.
- Attends formal training as needed to pursue required certifications.
- Ensures completion of tasks safely and efficiently within allocated budget/schedule, provide task workload estimates and required resources, provide requirements for task incorporation into workflow, comply with all Pad Management, Quality, Certification, and Cleanliness Documentation, and Safety Policies.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Valid Driver's License
- Covid-19 Vaccination
- Field experience in the operations and maintenance of cryogen and pneumatic systems, Launch Pad experience preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and secure reliable transportation to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Offices and facilities on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
- Must be able to maintain secured access to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and supporting facilities.
- Position requires a strong technically orientated operations management background with a focus on space launch vehicles and space launch ground systems with directly related work experience.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills for the resolution of operational anomalies.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding launch range command, control, and communications systems and their interface with the launch pad.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding space launch pad fluid, high pressure gas, hydraulic, electrical and control, safety, and structural systems. Must be able to travel in support of launch activities.
- Must be able to maintain mental clarity and efficiency in work in a stressful operational environment.
- Must be able to work well with demanding customers to deliver confidence in ability and promote long-term business relationships.
- Must be able to understand, follow, and promote OSHA safety guidelines in the workplace.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or a related field from an accredited college or university. Advanced Engineering Degree desired.
- A minimum of 7 – 10 years of experience as engineer. Practical work experience with space launch systems with and experience in space launch operations management.
The employer will provide at no cost to the employee:
- Health, Vision, and Dental insurance
- Retirement contribution equaling 11% of your salary
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment, and Term Life insurance