General Description: The External Relations Specialist provides high level support to External Relations executive leadership by performing a variety of duties and skilled tasks. This position will coordinate, process, assist, and maintain aspects of the overall day to day business needs/functions of the Virginia Spaceport Authority’s External Relations team and contribute to the overall creative development of the department.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Serve as a central point of contact for the VSA External Relations Department and aide in answering phones, responding to community inquiries, assisting colleagues and staff in scheduling and arranging meetings.
2. Assist in internal and external event coordination and implementation. This may include event preparation, managing RSVP's, taking minutes and notes, working with vendors, coordinating contracts, and attending/assisting in running events which may require some weekend and evening hours, and travel.
3. Assist in preparing special marketing pieces and reports including an internal newsletter.
4. Assist in providing tours of VSA’s facilities.
5. Responsible for the stewardship of event attendees. This will include developing reports and processing appropriate correspondence communication.
6. Providing administrative support. This will include calendar and meeting scheduling, domestic and international travel scheduling, taking staff and board minutes, creating correspondence, and assisting with creating materials for meetings.
7. Coordinating supply swag inventory and ordering which includes managing and reconciling credit card purchases.
8. Using digital tools to create and maintain dashboards relating to tracking budgets, staff leave requests, event management, launch operations, and other miscellaneous systems to improve the various processes in the department.
9. Assist the department in scheduling social media posts and website updates
10. Conduct research such as cost comparisons and industry research to provide to department management.
11. Assist in all launch guest operations.
12. Performs other various clerical duties, which may include recordkeeping, miscellaneous errands between office buildings and Norfolk and Wallops,ordering and maintaining supplies, coordinating catering, booking venues, and handling and disbursing incoming packages.
13. Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this title. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. They are not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of supervisors to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under their supervision.
College: Associates degree Major: Business or related field
Job-Related Experience: An equivalent combination of training and experience may substitute for a degree.
Licenses, etc.: Valid driver's license is necessary while operating a vehicle while on agency business.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Knowledge: Will be required to organize, plan, and prioritize work to achieve specific objectives. Exercise of good judgment is a requirement as are the practice of honesty and integrity in all activities.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work independently.
· Creative and independent thinking.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
· Basic understanding of clerical procedures and systems.
· Flexible and adaptable in various situations and when interacting with many different personalities.
· Knowledge of, or ability to quickly acquire, familiarity with the roles and functions of the assigned department.
· Creative: ability to learn new digital skills, use social media, and basic graphic design applications.
Physical Demands: Work is light requiring lifting of computer equipment and involves typical office behaviors. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10pounds.
Work Environment: Work is performed in a typical office setting.