Careers at Virginia Space
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients. Whether it's preparing for a launch or working on our UAS runway, our industry promises to be fun and full of new experiences.
Virginia Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients.
MARS is seeking a Civil Engineer to join our dynamic team at Wallop Island with highly skilled and dedicated Engineers.
Under limited supervision, this position is primarily responsible for engineering design, construction, supervision, operation, and maintenance of Civil, Structural, and Environmental systems; including but not limited to, roads, structures, stormwater, and hydraulic systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, and other data to plan projects.
- Consider construction costs, government regulations, potential environmental hazards, and other factors in planning stages and risk analysis.
- Compile data and prepare permit applications to local, state, and federal agencies verifying that projects comply with various regulations.
- Analyze soil testing to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations.
- Select construction materials, such as concrete, asphalt, or steel, for use in particular projects.
- Provide cost estimates for materials, equipment, and/or labor to determine a project’s economic feasibility.
- Use design software to plan and design transportation systems, hydraulic systems, and structures in line with industry and government standards
- Develop technical documentation, such as, drawings, specifications, engineering analyses, bidding documentation, project reports, scope of work, white papers, guidelines, reports, and public presentations.
- Manage the repair, maintenance, and replacement of public and private infrastructure
- Assist other project managers, engineers, and technical staff on major projects, providing necessary management and support to assure technical, cost, and schedule deliverables.
- Assist other project managers, engineers, and technical staff on applications for federal, state, and/or local grant applications. This may include research, writing, and data compilation.
- Work directly with the customer, NASA staff, support contractors, and Virginia Space management/technical staff to ensure all projects are completed according to mission requirements.
- Responsible for managing the Virginia Space construction project management software platform, ensuring that all construction related communication between internal and external parties is adequately facilitated and executed to support project timelines. Such communication includes but is not limited to Requests for Information (RFI), submittals, transmittals, drawing/specifications, and daily construction logs.
- Provide periodic training on the Virginia Space construction project management software platform to both internal and external parties to ensure proficiency amongst all project stakeholders.
- Ensure all relevant plans, specifications, safety policies, and environmental procedures are implemented and followed throughout entire span of project to ensure compliance and satisfaction with all Virginia Space customers.
- Identify project scope and the method of construction required for a project in order to develop detailed cost breakdowns and estimates.
- Generate project activity schedules, track activity progress against schedule, develop cost budgets for projects, track project costs, ensure performance and quality metrics are met, and provide reports to the Assigned Supervisor.
- Conduct frequent field inspections and reviews of project activities to assess conformance with design and operational requirements and to identify deficiencies. Make formal reports of findings for inspections and reviews to the Assigned Supervisor and/or NASA project manager.
- Maintain seamless lines of communication with all project stakeholders to complete tasks on-time, within budget, and within scope.
- Develop, maintain, and report technical performance metrics which effectively measure the level of performance in the execution of all directed tasks.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Engineering: A minimum of three (3) years of related engineering work experience with at least one (1) year of experience as engineer responsible for project management.
- Experience with the following software or equivalent alternate: AutoCAD, Solid-works, RISA-3D, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Project.
- B.S. in Engineering (Civil, Structural, or Environmental) or related field with equivalent experience (Required) 10 years total equivalent work experience may substitute degree.